Thursday, January 23, 2014

Stopping all things Tacky -- The Tacky Box Review

I talk about my children very often in my posts.  Allyson recently turned 5 years old and I worry about when I have to release her out in the world of public schooling.  So far in her life I have had either myself, my husband or Ally's grandparents around to make sure she wasn't being bullied or hearing words that are inappropriate for anyone to hear.  Unfortunately we cannot always shield our children from the ugly in the world, but Tacky Box is trying to help us... One step at a time!


Every child will be exposed to tacky language and behavior, no matter how much parents want to shelter them. When the inevitable occurs, Tacky Box equips children with the skills to distinguish between what’s appropriate and inappropriate and encourages them to proactively choose how to respond. Inspiring kindness rather than tackiness, Tacky Box Set arms parents with everything they need to help their child navigate the jungle, kind heart and good manners intact.



When I heard about Tacky Box, I knew I needed to share this program with Ally.  The story alone is a great tool, but the box is absolutely perfect.  Your Tacky Box will show up with just a picture of Margo and Max on a clean slate.  I let Ally decorate it however she wanted.  It is her box, after all!


In Margo's Magnificent Choice by Christ Kent Phelps and Cindy Kent, Margo is a beautiful monkey that overhears a few things and doesn't understand how words hurt people.  After a few conversations and upset friends, she finds a very wise Owl. Mr. Owl teaches her about Tacky Box. He tells her, "It will hold all the tacky, unkind words you might say or hear.  Simply write the tacky word on a piece of paper and place it in the box.  Make the choice to remove it from your mind and from your heart forever.  I know you can do it!"  You'll have to read the book to find out how it ends, but I will tell you that Margo uses her Tacky Box and we had smiles on our faces.


Ally and I both love the illustrations by Cindy Kent in Margo's Magnificent Choice.  The story is such a great lesson for young and old.  Every now and then, even us adults need a reminder to stay away from the tacky words.


Disclosure: A special thank you to Tacky Box for giving Sweet Cheeks and Savings this opportunity to work with them. We received these items free of charge from Tacky Box. No monetary compensation was received or offered, nor were we under any obligation to write about this product.  All opinions expressed are honest thoughts.  We were not offering any sales or taking orders for this item.  We will not receive any compensation in connection with any sales of this item.

22 comments:

  1. What a cute company name and perfect product for my children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be a great idea for my grandkids. I already see them doing some pretty tacky things, maybe this would help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, I spend A LOT of money to send my kids to karate to learn those same lessons & all I had to do was get a tacky box. Go figure :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is actually a great idea and it adds creativity to the kids too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is brilliant! I know some kids who need this LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never heard of Tacky Boxes, but I have Grandkids so I am always searching for ideas to give them a little something special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very good idea to learn which is appropriate and which is not. This would be good for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds like a really smart idea! I really have a hard time with knowing what to do when my toddler hears bad words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what agreat product for children and such a cute name

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cute little box with such a fun story. I like the idea behind the Tacky box.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who would have ever thought to come up with a tacky box. I love that she was able to decorate it to personalize it. Anything that would help teach children to say nicer things is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute idea for a box! I love how she decorated it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great concept for teaching children that some language is going to be heard, but is never appropriate!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such an interesting concept! My little guy is too young but I will have to keep it in mind for my nephews and nieces!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like the idea behind this. Kids do hear so many unkind and tacky things and need to learn how to handle them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great book and idea! This is something I would have loved to share with my son when he was a bit younger. Words can really hurt and it's good to have the child prepared for things she or he might not understand.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the idea of tucking something away out of use and out of our lives. Cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a nice idea. :) It's a great lesson for children to not allow unkind words and insults to let them down.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds like a great lesson. My kids are 5 & 4 so this would be great for their ages.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this idea because it really teaches kids important lessons. Also, the reading involved is a big plus too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great idea. I know my son would love having a tacky box like that. he loves crafts so he would be so happy to decorate the box. We don't say "tacky words" we call them bad words lol there's a few words he knows not to say. I was so worried to when he started going to "the big school" (as he likes to call it). But it got easier after a while.

    ReplyDelete